Toggle menu

Report a change in circumstance


You must tell us straight away if there is any change in the information we have used to decide on your entitlement to benefit, even if you have already told someone else like the Job Centre, Department for Work and Pensions or your landlord.

Examples of changes you need to report

  • Change of address, or where you will be temporary absent from your home; for example, going into hospital or respite care, or where you will be absent outside of Great Britain for four weeks or more. You don't need to tell us about short-term visits to relatives, friends or holidays that are for less than four weeks.
  • Changes in the amount of rent that you are charged, or a change of landlord.
  • If you start work or change employment for you and any member of your household.
  • Changes in the number or status of any household members; for example, the birth of a child, a child leaving school, or anyone leaving or joining the household.
  • Changes in either the amount or type of income received by any household member. This includes awards of new benefits; for example, Personal Independence Payments.
  • Increases or decreases in your capital (savings) other than minor day-to-day fluctuations.
  • If you start to receive Carer's Allowance or have an underlying entitlement to Carer's Allowance, or if someone starts to receive this benefit for looking after you.

This is not an exhaustive list. If you are unsure if your change in circumstances will affect your benefit entitlement, please contact us for advice on 01744 676789.

How to report your change

  • Please tell us in writing and give us your benefits reference number whenever possible.
  • Tell us what has changed and the date that it changed from.
  • Provide evidence of the change; for example, notice of rent increase, pension slips, or wage slips if your wages have increased.
  • You can telephone the benefit action line on (01744) 676789; however, you would generally be required to follow this with written confirmation and evidence of the change.
  • You can also complete the online change in circumstances form and attach evidence to tell us about your change.

Complete a change in circumstances form

What happens if you don't tell us straight away?

  • You may be paid too much benefit, which you will have to repay;
  • If the change means you are entitled to more benefit, we may not be able to award any back-pay if you do not inform us of the change within one month of it happening; and;
  • You could face criminal charges.

If you tell us of a change more than one month after it has happened, you may not get any extra benefit due to you until the Monday after you actually tell us. This is unless you have a good reason for telling us late.

If you are late telling us of a change that causes you to have less benefit, we will still recover any overpaid benefit from you, from the day of the change.

Change of address

If the change in your circumstances is that you are changing address, you will need to inform us by using the form below. You must do this as soon as possible, or you may lose benefit.

If you have good reason why you can't do this straightaway, please ring us and tell us why and we can treat this contact as the date notified as long as you complete and submit a form within one calendar month.

You must also provide proof of your new rent.

Temporary change of address

If your Housing Association temporarily moves you to another address, while repairs are carried out at your home, you must complete a new application form.  You must do this as soon as possible, or you may lose benefit.  If you have a good reason why you can't do this straight away, please ring us and tell us why.  We can then treat this contact as the date notified as long as you complete and submit a form within one calendar month.

Income changes

Income Support/Job Seeker's Allowance has stopped

If Job Seeker's Allowance (income-based) or Income Support has ceased then you must tell us this as soon as possible. If you have good reason why you can't do this straight away, please ring us and tell us why and we can treat this contact as the date notified, as long as you confirm this to us within one calendar month.

You must also provide proof of your new income and any savings you may have.

What happens if there are changes in my income or savings?

If your savings and/or income has changed (not Income Support or Job Seeker's Allowance) you should contact us straight away. We will require you to provide proof.

Other changes

What happens if there is a change in my rent? 

If your rent charges change then you should confirm this to us and provide proof of the new rent.

What happens if a person who lives in my home has a change in their circumstances?

If you or your partner leaves the household, then a new form should be completed by the person remaining in the home. It will be likely that your income will have changed and details and proof will be required.

If a non-dependant or a dependant leaves the household, you need to contact us to let us know what date they left and their forwarding address.

This is also the case if a boarder, tenant, sub-tenant or carer leaves.

We may not be able to remove someone from an address without details of their forwarding address and, if you are unable to provide a forwarding address, you will have to provide an explanation.

We need to be informed of all changes in your circumstances as soon as possible. If you delay, you may lose benefit.