St Helens Archive Service mission statement
- Identify, collect and preserve archive materials relating to the people, places and historic developments across the borough of St Helens.
- Use the archive to create better-connected communities, inform local decision-making and strengthen local communities and their cultural identity.
- Widen access to the collection by digitising collections, encouraging school classes to visit and ensuring that people can access materials through their local library and through outreach visits.
- Provide free access for all to archive records and engage with local communities to promote the borough's rich heritage.
- Provide an environment which encourages life-long learning, contributes to a feeling of well-being and sense of place, raises aspirations and appreciation for the preservation of historic collections.
- Support and enhance the overall strategic objectives of the council including sustainable healthcare, economic growth, raising aspirations and being better connected.
We aim to do this by...
Collecting - Locating and collecting analogue and digital archives which are of historic significance and record life in the borough of St Helens.
Conserving - Expertly preserving and safeguarding unique and irreplaceable archives, some of which are of national and international significance.
Collaborating - Making lasting and groundbreaking partnerships that inspire and support local people and communities to collect, share and preserve the documented heritage of their communities.
Sharing - Encouraging the use, appreciation and enjoyment of archives through an inclusive and welcoming public service. Making accurate information about our collections widely available.