Toggle menu

Provisional statements

What is this licence for?

A provisional statement can be applied for a premises that is either:

  • Under construction
  • Being altered in any way, for example an extension

Provisional statements work in a similar fashion to premises licences in terms of the process of applying for one. But the main difference is that once the work to the premises has been completed, the provisional statement does not turn into a premises licence.

A premises licence will then have to be applied for but, providing there has been no other change to the premises since the submission of the provisional statement, representations will be restricted. 

Are there any restrictions?


  • We do not issue casino licences as St Helens is not classed as a major city.

Bingo premises

  • The premises must have the provision of facilities for the playing of bingo.
  • The premises can have a maximum of four category B3 or B4 gaming machines.
  • The premises can have an unlimited category C or D gaming machines.
  • Children are permitted and able to play the category D machines but not permitted to enter the area where category C or higher machines are located.

Betting premises (Including track)

  • The premises must have the provision of facilities for betting whether by making or accepting bets, by acting as a betting intermediary or by providing other facilities for the making or accepting of bets.
  • The premises can have a maximum of 4 category B3 or B4 gaming machines.
  • Children are permitted to enter all areas of the premises on designated race days but not to be able to enter the area where any category C or B machines are located on non-race days.

Adult gaming centre premises

  • The premises can have a maximum of 4 category B3 or B4 gaming machines.
  • The premises can have unlimited category C or D gaming machines.
  • No children are permitted in this premises type.

Family entertainment centre premises

  • The premises can have unlimited category C or D gaming machines.
  • Children who are able to play the category D machines are permitted in the premises but not permitted to enter the area where the category C machines are located.

Policies and guidance

Making a representation against a licence application

If you wish to make a representation (comment) on an application, you can make your submission using our online portal.

Only representations which relate to the likely effect of the granting of the licensing on one or more of the licensing objectives can be considered. The four objectives are:

  • The prevention of crime and disorder
  • Public safety
  • Prevention of public nuisance
  • The protection of children from harm

Issues which may be raised but which are outside the scope for consideration include:

  • Matters which are outside the control of the applicant e.g. on-street parking, traffic, general anti-social behaviour
  • Speculation about the effects of the licence being granted
  • Representation which is frivolous or vexatious
  • Matters which duplicate or relate to other legislation e.g. fire precautions, restrictions on a planning permission

Petitions as part of a representation against a licence application

When organising and submitting a petition as part of your representation against a licence application, there are some important factors to bear in mind: 

  • We ask that the instigator of the petition identifies themselves as a central point of contact, as we may need to make contact in order to verify certain matters and if we are unable to do so this could invalidate the petition. 
  • Each page of the petition should contain information as to the purpose of the petition so that all persons know what they are signing.
  • Full names and addresses for each signatory must be provided. 
  • All signatories must be made aware that where representations are made and not withdrawn, a copy of the petition will be supplied to the applicant and a copy will be contained within the committee papers. 

We will not write to each signatory separately but instead expects that the instigator of the petition will advise each signatory of the hearing date and the final outcome of the application. 

It is also expected that the instigator will represent signatories at the hearing and will speak for them.

How to apply

Important: some areas of the borough are subject to a  Cumulative Impact Policy (PDF) [2MB] (opens new window)  so applicants are advised to check before making an application. You are also advised to contact us before submitting an application to discuss your proposals and the relevant responsible authorities.

To apply for a provisional statement, you will need to complete the online application form. Once you have completed the application form, you will need to upload the following required documentation:

  • A plan of the premises. The plan of your premises should be drawn to the standard scale of 1:100 with a key to show:
    1. The boundary of the building with any external or internal walls, entrances and exits to the building
    2. The location of points of access to and egress from the premises
    3. If different from point 2 above, the location of escape routes from the premises
    4. In a case where the premises is used for more than one existing licensable activity, the area within the premises used for each activity
    5. In a case where an existing licensable activity relates to the supply of alcohol, the location or locations on the premises which is or are used for the consumption of alcohol
    6. Fixed structures (including furniture) or similar objects temporarily in a fixed location (but not furniture) which may impact on the ability of individuals on the premises to use exits or escape routes without impediment
    7. In a case where the premises includes a stage or raised area, the location and height of each stage or area relative to the floor
    8. In a case where the premises includes any steps, stairs, elevators or lifts, the location of the steps, stairs, elevators or lifts
    9. In a case where the premises includes any room or rooms containing toilets or urinals, the location of the room or rooms
    10. The location and type of any fire safety and any other safety equipment
    11. The location of a kitchen, if any, on the premises
  • Documents demonstrating that you have the right to work in the UK (if you are an individual applicant).
  • Contact details form (PDF) [203KB] (opens new window) , to assist us in contacting a representative of the premises.

Displaying of the public notice

For a period of not less than 28 days, starting the day after we have accepted your application, you must display a notice which is:

  • At least A4 in size
  • Pale blue in colour
  • Printed legibly or typed in black ink in a font equal to or larger than 16
  • In a prominent position on the premises where it can be conveniently read from the outside by passers-by.

The public notice will need to contain the following information:

  • The name of the applicant
  • The postal address of the premises (if there is no postal address, a description of the location sufficient to identify the premises)
  • The postal address and, where applicable, the web address where the application may be inspected
  • A brief description of the application
  • The date by which an interested party or responsible authority may make representation (within the 28 days from the day after the day we accept the application)
  • That it is an offence knowingly or recklessly to make a false statement in connection with an application, and the maximum fine for which a person could be liable on summary conviction for the offence (scale 5 on the standard scale, which is currently £5,000)
  • If you are applying for a new premises licence, the public notice must state the relevant licensable activities which have been proposed to be carried out.

Any incorrect information or dates on your public notice will result in a delay to your application.

Advertising the application in a local newspaper

You are also required to publish a notice containing the same information as your public notice in a local newspaper (the current local newspaper is the St Helens Star). You will need to ensure that the notice is published at least once during the period of 10 working days starting on the day after we accept your application.

How much will it cost?

The fee for the application will be taken online once the application form has been completed and the relevant documentation has been uploaded.

Please note: any fee payable is to accompany an application. If for any reason your application cannot be accepted and must be rejected, any fees paid are non refundable.

Transfer fee
Application for a provisional statement where premises being built, etc.£315
Other fees
Application for a grant or renewal of personal licence£37
Temporary event notice£21
Theft, loss, etc. of premises licence or summary£10.50
Notification of change of name or address£10.50
Application to vary licence to specify individual as premises supervisor£23
Application for transfer of premises licence£23
Interim authority notice following death etc. of licence holder£23
Theft, loss etc. of certificate or summary£10.50
Notification of change of name or alteration of rules of club£10.50
Change of relevant registered address of club£10.50
Theft, loss etc. of temporary event notice£10.50
Theft, loss etc. of personal licence£10.50
Duty to notify change of name or address£10.50
Right of freeholder etc. to be notified of licensing matters£21
Minor variations£89


How long will it take to process?

You will need to wait for a notice period of 28 days where you advertise your application. If no comments or objections are received in this time, the provisional statement will automatically be granted.


Apply for a provisional statement. This form will take 30 minutes to complete.

CAUTION - if you are not experienced in the submission of licence applications, you may wish to consider contacting a licensing solicitor or licensing agent to carry out this work on your behalf. If applications are submitted incorrectly or are not of the required standard, they may be rejected and you will lose your fee.  Please note that the licensing authority are only able to provide basic guidance, which is published on our web pages.

Please ensure that you check your application and supporting documents before you submit it, as no refunds will be issued for incorrect submissions.


When will I need to re-apply?

A provisional statement does not convert into a premises licence automatically. You will have to apply for a premises licence once your premises has been built in order to perform licensable activities.