Toggle menu

Register a baby born outside of St Helens

What documents will I need?

Babies born outside St Helens district can be made by declaration to St Helens Register Office.

You should take at least one form of identification when you go to the Register Office.

You can use:

  • Passport
  • Birth certificate
  • Deed poll
  • Driving licence
  • Proof of address (e.g. utility bill)
  • Council tax bill
  • Marriage or civil partnership certificate

You should also take your child's personal child health record or 'red book' as some registrars may ask to see it


Who needs to attend the appointment?

You will need to provide information about the mother, father and baby.

  • Both parents must attend the registration if you are not married and the father's details are to be recorded.
  • If you are married, only the mother or father needs to attend.
  • The registrar will collect the information and send all the signed documents to the district of birth.
  • Postage fees apply. 

What will I receive?

You will receive ...

  • A full birth certificate, which is a complete copy of the register entry, is available for a charge by contacting the district of registration
  • Further certificates may be bought any time afterwards. You can obtain further information about obtaining copy certificates by contacting the district of registration. .

Please note: You will not receive baby's certificates at the appointment

How much will it cost?

Details of fees chargeable for the birth certificate, which is a complete copy of the register entry, will be available from the district of registration



Make an appointment

Appointment times are between the hours of 9.00am and 4.00pm, Monday to Friday.

All babies born in St Helens, at home, must be registered at the Register Office in St Helens, within six weeks of their birth unless there are exceptional circumstances.

To make an appointment please contact us on 01744 676789