St Helens Armed Forces Covenant
St Helens Borough Council are proud to honour our local Armed Forces community through public events such as the Annual Armed Forces Day and the Service of Remembrance.
Find out more about this year's St Helens Armed Forces Day on 18 June.
We signed the Armed Forces Covenant in 2012 and work closely with our local regiments, Armed Forces charities, and health, housing, education and employment partners to ensure the Armed Forces community receive the support and recognition they are entitled to.
These pages have details of that support and links to related pages and documents which include information and guidance relevant to our local armed forces community.
If you or a member of your family serve in the British Armed Forces, or if you are an Armed Forces Service Leaver, Reservist, Veteran, Widow or Widower, the following pages hold a summary of the support available in St Helens.
- St Helens Jobcentre Plus: support to help current and former armed forces personnel and their families access Jobcentre Plus services
- Forces Family Jobs: official MOD-endorsed, Forces-friendly employers' job hub for reservists, veterans, and their families
- The Starting Point: help and advice on getting a job in St Helens
- St Helens Chamber: help and support with self-employment, new skills and qualifications
- Royal British Legion Industries Lifeworks: free employment training course for Armed Forces veterans
- Former Forces Support: life skills, wellbeing, employment, training and development programmes
Armed Forces council leisure membership
St Helens Borough Council offers access to all council leisure services for Armed Forces personnel and former members of the Armed Forces. The memberships are all-inclusive, which enable members to access council-run gyms, pools, saunas, steam rooms and classes.
Armed Forces memberships can only be issued at a council leisure centre reception. You must take your Armed Forces ID as proof.
The entitlements are outlined below:
- Armed Forces regulars, reserves and veterans - discounted Go Active bronze membership (anytime including weekends).
- All serving personnel and veterans for seven days starting on National Armed Forces Day each year - FREE access to all council leisure centres, fitness suites and swimming pools.
- Recipients of an Armed Forces pension and compensation (MOD) - FREE Go Active Membership (daytime including weekends).
- All serving Regular Armed Forces personnel on leave - one month's FREE access to all council leisure centres, fitness suites and swimming pools.
Local Regular and Reserve Regiments
St Helens' Local Reserve Regiments
Find out more about our local British Army Reserve Regiment, 103 Regiment Royal Artillery.
Find out more about the Reserve Forces
The following YouTube video highlights the main roles of the soldiers within 103 Regiment Royal Artillery Reserve and the rigours they go through during their live fire training.
St Helens' Cadet Forces
Here are links to the websites of our local Sea, Air and Army Cadet Forces: