Toggle menu

How to apply for planning permission

Some minor works or uses can be carried out as 'permitted development', in which case a planning application is not needed. Further information can be found on the Planning Portal or in the government's technical guidance.

If your proposal is not a 'permitted development', you may need to apply planning permission if you want to:

  • build something new e.g. a new building or an extension
  • change the use of your building

Building control

You need building regulation approval to check the work you're doing reaches certain safety and energy efficiency standards. You will probably need building regulation approval for:

  • a new building
  • an extension
  • a loft conversion
  • alterations to the structure of the building
  • home improvements like a new boiler, radiators, bathroom, fuse box, electric, windows, doors, or roofing