Toggle menu

Can I buy my rented home?

Tenants of ex-council properties that have transferred to registered providers such as Torus will still have the right to buy their home (known as the 'Preserved Right to Buy').

Tenants who moved into social rented properties after the stock transferred in 2002 or of other registered providers have the 'Right to Acquire'. The main differences between the two are:

  • Right to Buy - the amount of discount depends on how long you have been a tenant. There is a maximum discount of £84,600.
  • Right to Acquire - the amount of discount is a fixed amount between £9,000 and £16,000. Your landlord will tell you what discount you may be entitled when you apply to buy your rented property if you qualify.

If you are considering buying your rented home please contact your current Registered Provider of social housing who will be able to help you discuss your options.