Toggle menu

Private landlords

Renting a safe home

All homes need to meet certain standards to ensure that they do not represent a risk to health and safety. Landlords should provide tenants with a property that provides a safe and healthy environment to live in. The Renting a Safe Home guide attached below, has been produced to identify hazards or health risks, to work out whether a property is safe and to explain what to do if it's not. 

Read more information on the standards that are expected in a rented property.

Dealing with Damp and Mould: government guidance

You will be aware of the recent investigation and inquest into the death of two-year-old Awaab Ishak, following his prolonged exposure to mould in his home environment.

On the 7 September 2023 the government published guidance on damp and mould in the home.  The guide is aimed at registered social landlords and private landlords so that they adopt the best practices when dealing with complaints of damp and mould in a home, in addition to being proactive in identifying and tackling damp and mould.

Read more in the government's 'Understanding and addressing the health risks of damp and mould in the home' guidance.

If you have any further questions, please contact our Private Sector Housing Standards Team by emailing

Energy Performance Certificates

As a landlord you must provide your tenant with a copy of the EPC, which contains the energy performance rating of the property you are renting, free of charge at the onset of their tenancy. As of April 2020, all privately rented properties must have an energy performance rating of EPC band E or above (unless a valid exemption applies) before being let out. 

Electrical safety 

Under the Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020, landlords have to get their property electrics checked at least every five years by a properly qualified person. This applies to new tenancies from 1 July 2020 and existing tenancies from 1 April 2021.

The electrics must be safe and you must give your tenants proof of this. For more information, please read the government's guidance on electrical safety standards in the private rented sector.

Help and support from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)

HMRC is offering a range of support and advice for residential property landlords to help them to understand when and how to pay tax on property that they let out. Further details can be found at:

The Let Property Campaign is an opportunity for landlords who owe tax through letting out residential property, in the UK or abroad, to get up to date with their tax affairs in a simple, straightforward way and take advantage of the best possible terms.

Landlord Associations