LGA Corporate Peer Challenge - 2019
In 2019 we invited a small team of councillors and officers from the Local Government Association (LGA) and councils across the country to take a look at what we do, how we do it and our plans for the future. This is called a corporate peer challenge.
We also asked the review team to look at the culture within the organisation to ensure it will support the change needed. You can read their full assessment of how we were doing in the Corporate Peer Challenge and the Cultural Review reports below.
Since the review the council has been working hard to tackle the issues raised, and has developed action plans outlining our next steps. You can read our Corporate Peer Challenge action plan and our Cultural Review action plan below.
LGA Remote Peer Support - 2021
On 17 March 2021, a team of local government experts followed up with a support session with members of our Cabinet and Executive Leadership Team. The team praised our improvement and progress particularly in light of the COVID-19 pandemic and the council's role in leading the local response to it. Read the summary report below to find out more.
LGA Peer Review Revisit - 2021
In September 2021, the LGA completed a peer review revisit to find out what has changed, what has got better and where we still need to improve. The initial feedback said: "The council has changed considerably and is in a far stronger position than where it was at the time of the last peer challenge in 2019." Some of the findings said:
- Our member and officer leadership is better, with confidence and honesty between teams.
- Children's Services is more clearly prioritised, with an improvement plan and board in place.
- The new Borough Strategy describes the priorities and outcomes the council is seeking to deliver.
- A dedicated Organisational Design and Development team is having a positive impact.
- Messages and information to residents and businesses are clearer.
- ICT played a strong role in supporting the council through lockdown.
- Plans to regenerate and grow our local economy are underway with an Economic Recovery Plan and Place Board in place.
You can read our revisit report and action plan below.