The Internal Audit service is a statutory function. We are based within the council's Corporate Services department. We provide an independent opinion based on the effectiveness of the council's procedures. The purpose, authority and responsibility of Internal Audit activity is defined in the Internal Audit Charter.
Our mission statement
Our mission is to support the council to achieve high standards of service delivery, conduct, governance and risk management. We also help ensure that resources are safeguarded from fraud, bribery and corruption.
We do this by:
- providing an independent opinion on how effective the council's financial, operational, risk management, governance and control framework is;
- conducting risk-based reviews of all internal systems, reporting to managers on their effectiveness and making recommendations for improvement;
- advising on the adequacy and effectiveness of controls in new and developing systems;
- advising on the prevention and detection of fraud and investigating where suspected fraud or irregularity has been identified;
- undertaking consultancy work where requested by either the chief executive or chief officers; and
- reviewing control arrangements within the council's partnership arrangements with external organisations.
We operate to professional practice standards as defined by the Public Sector Internal Audit Standards.
Fraud and irregularity
The council is committed to high standards of conduct and takes seriously all allegations of fraud and irregularity. We will take all necessary steps to ensure that the public's assets and interests are protected. The council has an anti-fraud, bribery and corruption policy and an anti-fraud, bribery and corruption strategy.
Please refer to our guidance on what to do if you suspect fraud, bribery or corruption.
The council is committed to the highest possible standards of openness, probity and accountability. Because of this, we expect anyone who has serious concerns about any aspect of the council's business to come forward and voice those concerns.
We have a whistleblowing policy intended to to encourage and enable employees, and others, to raise concerns with the council rather than overlook it, or raise it outside.
Need further advice?
If you need any further information regarding the above, please contact:
Carol McDonnell, Acting Head of Internal Audit
Telephone: 01744 676141
Robin Baker, Engagement Lead - Grant Thornton
Telephone: 0161 2146399