Toggle menu

Give notice of marriage or civil partnership

The notice of marriage or civil partnership is a legal statement which you must sign. 

The notice states the names, age, marital status, address, occupation and nationality of the people intending to marry or form a civil partnership. It also states the intended venue for the ceremony.

Notices are displayed on the public notice boards of the register office for 28 days. Only after the 28 days can the 'schedule for marriage or civil partnership' be issued. 

The 'schedule' is only valid for use at the venue stated, so it is vital that you are certain of the place in which you plan to be married or form a civil partnership at the time of giving your notice. If you need to change the venue after giving your notice, you will be required to give fresh notices stating the new venue for which a further fee will apply.

The information below relates to marriages or civil partnerships in England and Wales providing both parties:

  • are over the age of 18
  • are British or Irish nationals
  • usually reside in England or Wales
  • have European Union settled status, pre-settled status, or have a pending EUSS application submitted before 1 June 2021, and can provide a relevant Share Code and Certificate of Application from the Home Office.