Toggle menu

Dispute a parking fine

Appeals and challenges

If you believe that the penalty charge notice should not be paid and wish to challenge the PCN, please follow the relevant link below

Please quote the PCN number, the vehicle registration and your address in all contacts.

What happens next?

Following consideration of your challenge, we will write to you with our decision. If you disagree with the decision, the registered keeper of the vehicle will then have the opportunity on receipt of a Notice to Owner, to make a formal representation against the Penalty Charge Notice.

What if my formal representation is rejected?

Should the council decide to reject the formal representations, you have the right to appeal to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. This is an independent service and the decision is final and binding on both parties.

Details of how to challenge or appeal are available on the back of the Penalty Charge Notice.

St Helens Borough Council is a member of the Parking and Traffic Regulations Outside London (PATROL) Adjudication Joint Committee. The Joint Committee publishes an Annual Statement of Accounts, which is subject to external audit.

Cancellation policy

The council has produced a document showing examples where we may or may not cancel a Penalty Charge Notice.

You can  read or download the Cancellation Policy (PDF) [301KB] (opens new window)


If your Penalty Charge Notice begins with a prefix of  SZ3  please use.

Challenge your parking fine

Please Note

  • When appealing, please ensure you select the link above relevant to your PCN prefix
  • If you submit an appeal incorrectly, it will not be accepted and you will be re-directed to re-submit your appeal using the correct link above
  • Until your appeal is received in the correct format, your case will continue to progress

For queries regarding the appeals process

Contact us:

St Helens Borough Council, Parking Services, Town Hall, Victoria Square, St Helens, WA10 1HP.


Telephone: 01744 67 6782