Toggle menu

Advice for businesses

We are responsible for enforcing health and safety regulations in offices, shops, warehouses, restaurants, pubs, clubs, leisure premises, care homes and private nurseries to make sure they are safe for employees and visitors.

We carry out inspections and investigate workplace accidents and complaints about health and safety issues. Where businesses are not complying with the law, appropriate action will be taken in line with the council's enforcement policy.

This may include verbal advice and letters, service of improvement notice, prohibition notice and or prosecution. If you're concerned about health and safety, contact us and we will investigate it.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is responsible for enforcing health and safety regulations in: factories, building sites, schools and colleges, fairgrounds, gas, electricity and water systems, hospitals and nursing homes, central and local government premises.

The HSE website provides further details of the enforcing authority for a full range of activities. Find out how to report a concern to the HSE.

Providing health and safety advice to businesses

We can provide help and advice to new and existing businesses. An officer can visit your premises and offer general or specific guidance; however the employer must do the necessary implementation such as the risk assessment and the writing of the health and safety policy themselves.

You can download general publications from the Health and Safety Executive website with advice on health and safety regulations, policies and risk assessment.

If you have any queries about health and safety, please contact us on 01744 676789 or