Toggle menu

Work-related accidents

Inspections of work-related accidents are dealt with in the following ways:

  • Inspections of business premises such as offices, shops and warehouses to ensure conditions are satisfactory and safe.
  • Investigation of accidents at work that involve either staff or the general public.
  • Investigation of complaints relating to health and safety.
  • We provide information to businesses and members of the public to increase general awareness of health and safety.
  • We do not deal with council buildings and employees, manufacturing, construction or food industries.
  • Our Commercial Services team deals with health and safety in the food premises industry, except in food manufacturing, which is dealt with by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).
  • Council buildings, manufacturing and construction industries are also dealt with by the Health and Safety Executive.

You can find more information on the Health and Safety Executive website.

Investigating accidents in the workplace

The law requires certain incidents to be reported to health and safety enforcement authorities. These include:

  • Any fatal accident occurring on the premises.
  • Accidents involving a member of the public who is taken to hospital.
  • Accidents resulting in a member of staff having a major injury.
  • More than seven-day injuries to workers. This is where an employee, or self-employed person, is away from work or unable to perform their normal work duties for more than seven consecutive days (not counting the day of the accident).
  • A doctor's notification of a reportable work-related disease e.g. occupational dermatitis or asthma.
  • A dangerous occurrence.

You must report incidents online to the Incident Contact Centre at the Health and Safety Executive.

The HSE website explains in more detail.

Investigating complaints relating to health and safety

Complaints about working conditions are investigated by our Commercial Services team in a sensitive and confidential manner. Such matters can usually be resolved by advising the employer, but where formal action is required then it will be taken.

If the Commercial Services team are unable to deal with a complaint then every effort is made to give the details of a body that can.

Contact us on 01744 676299 or