We have a legal duty to seize dogs that are found as strays within the borough. Any unaccompanied dog wandering the streets or parks, even wearing a collar and ID tag, is classed as a stray.
If you see a stray dog in St Helens you should contact the us so that appropriate action can be taken:
St Helens Dog Welfare and Enforcement Service - 01744 676789
On weekends and bank holidays you can also contact Leigh Dogs and Cats Home CIC on 01942 671215 / 07786 118088.
- Knowsley Dog Warden Service - 0151 4434712
- Sefton Plus - 08451 400845
- Liverpool Animal Wardens - 08452 417253
- Wirral Animal Welfare Services - 0151 6478799
- using the government website
The council keeps all stray dogs for seven days from the date they were seized. If a dog is not reclaimed during this time it will, wherever possible, be re-homed.
Before a dog can be returned to its owner a release fee does have to be paid. This fee covers the cost of the kennelling of the dog and the prescribed fee which is a charge made under the Environmental Protection Act 1990.
The release fees per dog seized by us are:
- April 2021 - March 2022: £36 (for dog claimed from temporary holding kennels)
- April 2021 - March 2022: £114 (for a dog claimed after admittance to boarding kennels)
- April 2021 - March 2022: £150 (for a dog that has been seized as a stray on more than two occasions)