Council Tax fraud
Council Tax fraud can occur where a taxpayer:
- falsely claims a discount or exemption to which they are not entitled to; or
- fails to notify the local authority promptly when their circumstances change.
This may include:
- claiming 25% single occupancy discount when there is more than one adult, aged 18 years or over, living in the household who is not disregarded for Council Tax purposes;
- occupying a property that is in receipt of an unoccupied exemption;
- falsely claiming a student reduction or exemption;
- falsely claiming support under the Council Tax Reduction scheme, which may include failing to declare:
- income from earnings or other benefits;
- a partner or an another adult is living in the property; or
- money held in bank accounts, savings and investments.
Report your suspicions
Fraud Hotline - 0800 953 0217