Apply for a taxi or private hire licence
How to apply for a taxi driver's licence
We are responsible for making sure that the taxi and private hire trade in St Helens is operated in a professional manner and that the correct standards of safety and comfort are satisfied by all licensed drivers.
There are specific criteria that you must meet before a licence can be granted:
- A satisfactory DBS certificate
- A satisfactory DVLA mandate
- A satisfactory
- Passed the essential skills assessment and safeguarding course
Before you can submit a new application for a Hackney Carriage/ Private Hire Drivers Licence, you must complete these requirements.
Step 1: Submit an application for an Enhanced DBS Check
Please email email@example.com and provide your full name and address to request a DBS application pack which will then be sent to you by first class post. Once you have completed the DBS application you must contact us to book an appointment and we will check over your application and supporting documentation (see below). If everything is completed correctly, then the payment will be taken to cover the cost of your check.
- DVLA driving licence (held for at least 12 months)
- Current UK passport or UK birth certificate (if your passport was issued outside of the UK or Republic of Ireland, then a certificate of good character will be required from the relevant embassy if you have not lived in the UK for a minimum period of five continuous years before making your application (in English))
- National insurance number (either the number card, official national insurance number letter from the DWP or the national insurance letter obtainable from the government gateway website)
- Council tax bill (current year), bank statement or utility bill (no older than three months)
- Applicants who are not UK nationals by birth or by naturalisation must also produce a Home Office check code in order for us to check your right to work status. You must also produce your residency permit if you have been issued with one.
- Completed .
Note: All documents (including your DVLA driving licence) must be in your current address. These are the requirements of the DBS and not the Council. We are unable to process your DBS application without these.
Step 2: Complete the Essential Skills Assessment and Safeguarding Course
At the same time, we contact you to make payment for your DBS application (following the completion of step 1) you will be booked onto the essential skills and safeguarding course and payment will be taken for this also.
Step 3: Obtain a Group 2 Medical Assessment from your G.P. or Medical Practitioner who has access to your medical records.
Step 4: Once you have received your DBS from the Disclosure and Barring Service you must register with the DBS Update Service.
Once you have registered with the DBS update service you must post your:
- DBS certificate
- Proof of your DBS update service subscription
- Completed group 2 medical form
to the following address: Taxi Licensing, St Helens Town Hall, Victoria Square, St Helens, WA10 1HP, or drop them off between 09:00 and 16:00 at the same address. Please mark your envelope 'confidential'.
Submit an application for your licence
Once you have successfully completed the pre-application steps you can now apply for a Hackney Carriage/ Private Hire Drivers Licence. We will email you with the link to the online application form to apply. When submitting your application, you must also provide the following:
- DVLA mandate check code
- HMRC tax check code (from 4 April 2022 if applicable). Please read the 'tax checks' section for full information.
- Recent colour passport-sized photograph (The photograph must include your head & shoulders and be taken with a white/pale background).
Please note that upon submission of your application you will be contacted to make a payment of £25.00 which enables us to check your application. This fee is non-refundable. You must ensure that you check your application and supporting documents carefully, prior to submission, or you will be required to submit a further new application.
The £25.00 fee is per application submitted and will be deducted from the payment for your licence at point of issue (excluding any previous payments made for incorrect submissions).
Providing that your application is satisfactory and there are no instances that would trigger a referral to the Licensing & Environmental Protection Committee in line with our policies you will receive your licence within 5 working days.