Toggle menu

How do I add my child's father to the birth record?

How do I apply?

To add the natural father's details where parents are not married, a form adding father to the birth record (Form GR 185) must be completed and both parents need to visit the Register Office.

However, you may attend alone if you can produce one of the following documents:

  • a statutory declaration from the other parent or
  • a copy of parental responsibility agreement or
  • a court order

Is there a fee for re-registration?

Re-registration is free of charge.

New certificates are chargeable at £11.00 per certificate

What you need to do

Remember to bring these documents to your appointment:

  • your child's original birth certificate  
  • both parents need to attend or bring Statutory Declaration/court order etc.

The registrar will usually be able to authorise the re-registration, otherwise it must be authorised by the Registrar General.

The registrar will be able to advise on this.