Gain music qualifications
The Music Service provides a successful out-of-school GCSE programme (by EDEXCEL) open to any student attending a St Helens school that does not already offer this option at Key Stage 4.
This can include students whose school offers an alternative qualification such as a BTEC or RSL, but where their aspiration and ability would benefit from the additional challenge a GCSE would afford them.
The programme is free to join although you may be expected to pay for your own examination entry.
Entry requirements to the course include:
- A commitment to attend all weekly GCSE Music Sessions, Thursdays 4:00pm - 6:00pm, St Helens Town Hall, Victoria Square, St Helens.
- To be have weekly instrumental/vocal lessons with an expectation of being about Grade 4 standard in the year they sit the examination (these do not need to be with a Music Service tutor).
- Attend a weekly ensemble or choir provided by the Music Service and take part in a variety of supportive and enrichment activities and performances.
- To attend the Hub Award Musician programme.
- To attend a weekly theory session at St Helens Music Service or to be working through their theory grades with their own instrument tutor.