Scrap metal dealers
How to apply and fees
- A basic disclosure from the GOV.UK website. This should be dated no longer than one calendar month before the application.
- A passport or driver's licence
- A signed passport photograph (for mobile collector's licences only)
- If you are not a UK national you must provide us with a Home Office check code in order for us to check your right to work status.
|Site licence (new and renewal)||£450||N/A|
|Additional sites (per site) (new and renewal)||£400||N/A|
|Mobile collector's licence (new and renewal)||£240||N/A|
|Site licence variation||£235||N/A|
|Mobile collector's licence variation||£210||N/A|
|Copy of licence||£15 -£20||£2 - £3|
An applicant for a licence must be suitable and the local authority, when determining suitability, can have regard to:
- Whether the applicant or any site manager has been convicted of any relevant offence. Relevant offences are detailed in the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 (Prescribed Relevant Offences and Relevant Enforcement Action) Regulations 2013).
- Whether the applicant or any site manager has been the subject of any relevant enforcement action.
- Any previous refusal for issue or renewal of a scrap metal licence.
- Any previous refusal for an environmental permit or registration.
- Any previous revocation of a scrap metal licence.
- Whether the applicant has demonstrated that there will be adequate procedures to comply with the Act.
The same considerations also apply to any director or company secretary of a company if the applicant is not an individual.
Tacit consent does not apply to these licence types.