Toggle menu

Safety in private rented accommodation

Legal requirements

Tenant documentation

It is now a legal requirement for a landlord or agent to provide all tenants (new or renewed) with a tenancy pack which includes copies of:

  • a current Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) (read the EPC tenants booklet)
  • a current Gas Safety Certificate (read the Gas Safety leaflet)
  • the Right to Rent booklet (access the website).

A landlord or agent who fails to provide the above information cannot legally issue the tenant with a S21 eviction notice.

Gas safety is a serious issue and if you wish to check the qualifications of a gas engineer or you would like any advice on gas safety issues, please visit the Gas Safe website.

Further advice relating to gas safety in the private rented sector is also available from Shelter, the housing and homeless charity.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon