Toggle menu

My child attends primary school

Low income criteria

If your child is entitled to free school meals or you are in receipt of maximum working tax credit, and your child is attending the nearest school, you may be entitled to a free concessionary bus pass if the safest walking distance from your home to school is more than two miles.

If you would like further information, you can contact the School Transport Team on (01744) 671033. A full copy of the  Home to School Travel Assistance Policy (PDF) [44KB] (opens new window)  is also available to download.

Alternatively, if you think you may be entitled to a concessionary bus pass, you can print and complete an  application form (PDF) [2MB] (opens new window)  and return it to:

School Transport Team
People's Services
Atlas House
Corporation Street
St Helens

All completed applications are processed within 10 school days. If your child qualifies for a concessionary bus pass, you will be asked to send a current and appropriate passport-sized photograph of your child to the School Transport Team. Once this is received, you will be issued with the appropriate concessionary bus pass that will be valid until the end of the school year. 

A Solo pass can be used on any bus service travelling in the St Helens area.

An Arriva pass can be used on any Arriva Services travelling in the North West.

For details of supported school services, visit the Merseytravel website.

Please note: if you move address or your child changes school, you must notify the School Transport Team and return your concessionary bus pass immediately. A reassessment of your child's entitlement will be carried out and if they are still eligible for a concessionary bus pass, one will be sent to you.

Failure to return the concessionary bus pass will result in you being invoiced for the cost of the pass, from the date your child becomes no longer eligible for pass to the date the pass is returned.