Toggle menu

Cold callers, doorstep crime and scams

If you have been approached by a doorstep trader who has persuaded you to have work done and believe that the work is unnecessary, overpriced or of very poor quality, please report what has happened to the Citizens Advice Consumer Service, who will share the report with Trading Standards. An officer will then contact you if it appears that enforcement action is required. 

If you are feeling an immediate threat by the trader being on your property, or you have a person at the door who you suspect is a bogus caller (for example, pretending to be from the council, housing association or water company), report the issue by calling 101 or 999, or via the  Merseyside Police website depending on the urgency of the situation. 

If you are receiving scam mail and nuisance phone calls or think you may have fallen victim to an online scam, useful information about what you can do can be found on the Friends Against Scams website, operated by National Trading Standards.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon
Last modified on 23 March 2022