Nursery school admission
Maintained nursery units/schools
The local authority processes applications for maintained nursery units/schools in St Helens. (A maintained nursery is managed by a governing body and is usually on the site of a primary school.)
If you wish to apply for a Private, Voluntary, or Independent Playgroup/Nursery, or a neighbouring local authority's nursery, you need to contact them directly.
Your child can access 15 hours' free nursery care each week for 38 weeks each year the term after their third birthday. In maintained nurseries these hours are normally divided up into morning or afternoon sessions on five days per week. The school will contact you with details of the session times for your child after a place has been allocated by the local authority.
Some primary schools offer two-year-olds places; please check with the school you are interested in.
30 hours' funded childcare
Some working parents are eligible for up to 30 hours of funded childcare/early education per week (for three to four-year-olds). You can check whether you are eligible for 30 hours' free childcare via the Childcare Choices website.
You should contact your preferred nursery to find out if they will be offering 30-hour places and whether there is any availability.
Applying for January, April and September nursery admission
You can apply for admission the term after your child's third birthday. If your child was born on or between:
- 1 September and 31 December, you can apply for January admission.
- 1 January and 31 March, you can apply for April admission.
- 1 April and 31 August, you can apply for September admission.
Before you apply
- Please read the , which contains useful information about the application process, including how places will be allocated.
- Clarify any issues you are not sure about with staff in the school admissions team on 01744 671035 or email email@example.com