Toggle menu

Who do I need to inform?

The time after someone passes away is very difficult for family and friends. However, there are many people who need to be informed and things you will have to do.

Who to inform

Within the first five days of someone passing, you will need to contact:

  • Family doctor
  • Registrars - to register the death 
  • Funeral director - to begin the funeral arrangements
  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) 
  • HMRC
  • You can use the Tell Us Once service to inform government and local government services

For deaths, we advise you to consider carefully who you may need to inform and who may need to see a certified copy of the death certificate. These can include:

  • Bank, building societies or post office  - to close down accounts, stop direct debits
  • Probate 
  • School or employer
  • Insurance companies
  • Mortgage provider or landlord
  • Dentist
  • Royal Mail - to redirect post
  • Stocks and shares 
  • Solicitors
  • Private pensions  
  • Premium Bond 
  • Other legal contracts and agreements

Things to return or cancel

Some organisations require that you return documentation to them:

  • Passport Office - to cancel and return a passport
  • DVLA - to cancel and return a driving licence, cancel car tax, return car registration/change ownership detail

Stop unwanted mail

You can contact the Bereavement Register and Deceased Preference Service to remove the deceased person's details from mailing lists and databases.

Leaflets with details of this service are also available from our St Helens Crematorium office.