Toggle menu

Voter ID

The government has introduced a requirement for voters to show photo ID when voting at a polling station.

All electors who vote at a polling station will be required to show an accepted form of photographic identification from May 2023. This will include anonymous electors. 

If you act as a proxy for an elector, you will need to show your own ID. You will not need to provide ID for the person you are acting as a proxy for.

You will need ID to receive your ballot paper to cast your vote in a polling station.

There are no scheduled elections due to take place in St Helens until May 2024; however this will affect any by-elections or unscheduled elections that take place after May 2023.

Which forms of ID can I use to vote?

You may already have a form of photo ID that is acceptable. You can use any of the following:

International travel

  • Passport issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA state or a Commonwealth country

Driving and Parking

  • Driving licence issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, or an EEA state (this includes a provisional driving licence)
  • A Blue Badge

Local travel

Passes Funded by UK Government

  • Older Person's Bus Pass (it must state it is funded by the government - local travel passes cannot be used)
  • Disabled Person's Bus Pass
  • Oyster 60+ Card
  • Freedom Pass


  • Scottish National Entitlement Card
  • 60 and Over Welsh Concessionary Travel Card
  • Disabled Person's Welsh Concessionary Travel Card
  • Senior SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
  • Registered Blind SmartPass or Blind Person's SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
  • War Disablement SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
  • 60+ SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
  • Half Fare SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland

Proof of age

  • Identity card bearing the Proof of Age Standards Scheme hologram (a PASS card)

Other government issued documents

You will only need to show one form of photo ID. It needs to be the original version and not a photocopy.

For more information on which forms of photo ID will be accepted, visit or call their helpline on 0800 328 0280.

* Please note that expired documents will be accepted at the polling station providing that the photograph is still a good likeness of you.

If you don't have an accepted form photo ID

If you don't already have an accepted form of photo ID, or you're not sure whether your photo ID still looks like you, you can apply for a free voter ID document, known as a Voter Authority Certificate. This is a document specifically for the purpose of voting. You can apply for this at

There will be three types of voter ID documents:

  • the Voter Authority Certificate (VAC) - as mentioned above.
  • the temporary Voter Authority Certificate, which Electoral Registration Officers (EROs) will have the discretion to provide if an elector has not received their VAC.
  • the Anonymous Elector's Document (AED), for use by anonymous electors only. Registered anonymous electors will be required to apply for an AED as this will be the ONLY accepted form of voter ID for anonymous electors at polling stations. Anonymous electors will be invited to apply for the AED from 16 January 2023.

The Voter Authority Certificate will be an A4 paper-based document, with appropriate security features, displaying only the elector's name, photograph, date of issue, issuing local authority, a unique reference number, and a recommended renewal date.

The deadline for applications for Voter Authority Certificates will be 5pm, six working days ahead of a poll.

If you have an accepted form of photographic ID, you do not need to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate (Voter ID).

If you need any help applying for a Voter Authority Certificate, please contact us; we can also assist you by taking your photograph for the application. 

Paper copies of the Voter Authority Certificate application form are also available on request or you can download the Voter Authority Certificate Application Form.

Find out more

If you would like further information about voter ID, go to

Electoral Services contact details
Telephone:01744 676464 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm)
Write to us:St Helens Borough Council, Electoral Services, Town Hall, Victoria Square, St Helens, WA10 1HP