Toggle menu

Personal licences

A personal licence allows an individual the authority to provide the sale or supply of alcohol.

All establishments with a premises licence that provide the sale of alcohol will require at least one personal licence holder, known as the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS), where one of their activities is to provide the retail sale of alcohol.

Once a personal licence is obtained it is valid for life.

How to apply

To apply for a personal licence, you will need to complete the online application form (PDF) [310KB] (opens new window) . Once you have completed the application form, you will need to upload the following required documentation:

Changes to your personal licence

Change of name or address

If you would like to change the name or address on your personal licence, you will need to complete a change of name or address application form (PDF) [9KB] (opens new window)  and return it to us by email.

You will also be required to pay a fee of £10.50 in order to make the change and this can be done via a card payment over the phone once we have received your application.

You should also inform us if you need a replacement personal licence card.

Lost or stolen personal licences

If you have lost your personal licence or it has been stolen, you will need to email us and provide us with the following details in order to request a replacement:

  • Your full name
  • Your address
  • Personal licence number (if known)
  • Date of birth

There will also be a £10.50 fee that will need to be paid for the replacement licence and this can be done via a card payment over the phone.

Convicted of a relevant offence?

If you have been convicted of a relevant offence, as defined under schedule 4 of the Licensing Act 2003, or a foreign offence, you have a responsibility to tell us within a period of 14 days so that we can endorse the paper part of your personal licence.

To report an offence to us, you will need to email us with the following information:

  • Your full name
  • Your date of birth
  • Your address
  • Your personal licence number
  • The date your personal licence was issued
  • If you are the DPS of a premises
  • Details of your conviction 

If you are convicted of a relevant offence, then under section 132A of the Licensing Act 2003 we may take action against your personal licence, which could result in a suspension of the licence for up to a period of 6 months, or revocation of the licence. If we are considering taking action against your personal licence, we will notify you of this and allow you a 28-day period to make any representations.

After this 28-day period your personal licence will be referred to the licensing sub-committee, who will determine what action (if any) should be taken against the licence.