Toggle menu

Local land charges

What is a land search?

We can provide information about land or property to you if you are a prospective purchaser or developer in the borough of St Helens.

When buying a house or land, a number of checks are usually carried out to make sure there are no problems, including a local authority search.

Your solicitor or licensed conveyancer often does this on your behalf, but you can request a search yourself if you prefer.

However, some conveyancers and solicitors use third-party companies to carry out searches on their behalf. These companies don't always request full official local authority searches from us, so the council can't be held responsible for the answers they provide or the time it takes. 

If your search was carried out by a third-party company and you need further explanations about the information provided, you will need to contact the company directly as we won't be able to help.

St Helens land charges register is moving

The St Helens land charges register is being transferred to HM Land Registry.

We will still continue to accept requests for CON29Rs and CON29Os after the move is completed.