- To inspect the borough from time to time, in accordance with the council's inspection strategy, for the purpose of identifying contaminated land.
- To establish, where relevant, who may be the appropriate persons to bear responsibility for remediation.
- To establish, where necessary, appropriate remediation methods, based on reasonability, and ensure that such remediation takes place.
- To maintain a public register of contaminated land.
- To review and update the council's Contaminated Land Inspection Strategy as and when required.
- To provide advice to land-owning directorates of the council on contaminated land issues as required.
- To regulate, via the planning process, the redevelopment of land affect by contamination.
- To respond to complaints and service requests with respect to contaminated land.
- To provide advice to members of the public, industry and the media on matters regarding contaminated land within the council's area of responsibility.