Toggle menu

Find advice and guidance if you're renting

My house has problems - what can I do?

If you have an emergency such as a leaking water pipe, call your landlord immediately; if it's a gas leak, call National Grid on 0800 111 999.

However, if you become aware of general disrepair issues in your house, you should follow the steps below:

  • Send your landlord a letter listing all the repairs or faults you believe exist
  • Give your landlord/managing agent access details e.g. a time when they can get into your property to inspect the faults and carry out the repairs - the most serious should be repaired first
  • Keep in regular contact with your landlord/managing agent
  • A landlord is allowed to have a 'reasonable time' to do repairs, but the 'time' allowed will depend on the type of repair needed.