Toggle menu

Apply for an accommodation certificate for immigration


Certain countries require a resident in the UK to provide an accommodation certificate stating that the property they are living in is safe and free from any harmful hazards. This is to ensure any family member or loved one who may be visiting them in the UK remains safe.

The local authority are able to provide you with an accommodation certificate but it will be necessary for a member of our private sector housing team to visit you at your home and carry out an inspection.

What can you expect?

Our officer will visit you at your home and inspect each of the rooms so that he/she can see that:

  1. the house is free from any serious hazard(s) that may put the health, safety or welfare of any occupant, visitor or any other person at risk; and
  2. that the property will not become overcrowded when the person or persons live with you.

Confirmation that a property does not cause anyone a hazard will then be put in the accommodation certificate (also known as an immigration or visa entry letter).