Toggle menu

Out-of-school and holiday care


Choosing early learning and childcare outside the home that's right for your child is an important decision to make. There's a huge amount of choice out there, from nurseries to playgroups to childminders.

Most childcare providers must be registered with the Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted) but there are some types of childcare that do not need to be registered.

Out-of-school and holiday clubs care for school-age children when the school is closed i.e. early morning (breakfast), after school and during school holidays. This type of care is usually run in school and day nurseries but childminders can also offer out-of-school and holiday care.

You can search for out-of-school and holiday care using our online directory.