Accessibility at polling stations
Voting in a Polling Station
We are committed to ensure that the accessibility needs of electors going to a polling station are considered. We offer a range of support for voters to enable them to vote independently or with assistance.
You will be required to provide Photographic Voter ID when voting at a polling station from May 2023.
Easy read guide on How to vote in person - My Vote My Voice
To help make polling stations accessible, we provide:
- Ramps where needed so polling stations are wheelchair accessible
- Wheelchair assessable polling booths
- Large print posters of the ballot paper are displayed and available
- Tactile voting device, to enable blind and partially sighted voters to mark their ballot papers independently
- Magnifying glass, to increase the size of the text on the ballot paper or guidance
- Pencil grips to attach to pencils when marking the ballot paper (you can bring your own pencil or pen if you would prefer)
- Seating will be available
- Portable Hearing Loop systems - these devices can be available at your the polling station. To avoid any delay in for you at the polling station please let us know before the election so that we can ensure this is at the polling station for you
- Green printed copy of the ballot paper
- Disabled parking may be provided if it is available at the polling station, you can contact us to check this before polling day
To assist you, you can take your phone into the polling booth to use magnifier or text-to-speech apps, or the phone torch to improve lighting. Please inform the presiding officer if you will be using these before you go to the polling booth.
Support in the Polling Station
Staff in the polling station will be clearly identified with a name badge, they can assist with:
- Explaining the voting process
- Moving around the polling station
- Using the tactile voting device
- Reading out the candidates names and parties in the order on the ballot paper
- Mark your ballot paper for you if required
If would prefer, you can choose to take a friend or relative (who must be over the age of 18) into the polling station with you to help you to vote.
Both the Polling Station staff or companions are required to complete a declaration form before they assist you.
Please let the staff know if you need any additional support whilst in the polling station.
Ask for additional support
If you would like to make a request before polling day for any additional support or reasonable adjustments not listed, please email the Elections Team at email@example.com or call 01744 676464 to see if we can help.
Voting Process at the Polling Station
- You will receive a poll card before the election if you are registered to vote, it will confirm the location of your polling station.
- On election day you can visit your polling station between 7am and 10pm. Give your name and address to the polling station staff who will be sat at the table as you walk into the station. You will also be required to bring Voter ID. For a list of acceptable ID please check your poll card or visit Voter ID
- Once your details have been confirmed you will be handed your ballot paper(s). The member of staff will inform you of how many candidates to vote for.
- Go to the polling booths and mark a cross (X) in the box(es) on the right hand side of the ballot paper next to the candidate(s) you choose to vote for.
- Fold the ballot paper in half, place into the ballot box and leave the polling station.
If you make a mistake on the ballot paper tell a member of staff and you can be reissued with a replacement ballot paper and the original will be marked as spoilt.
Watch our polling station video to see what your polling station will look like inside.
British sign language video
Other ways of Voting
If you have any questions or concerns about visiting the polling station please contact the Electoral Services staff using the contact details below;
|Telephone:||01744 676464 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm)|
|Write to us:||St Helens Borough Council, Electoral Services, First Floor, Town Hall, Victoria Square, St Helens, WA10 1HP|