Assisted Musical Instrument Purchase Scheme
St Helens Borough Council's Music Service is allowed to sell instruments to pupils, which may either be VAT free and/or benefit from educational discount.
The scheme only applies to new instruments and it is not possible to purchase second-hand instruments through the scheme, regardless of their condition/age.
These savings can be passed on to pupils if the following conditions are met:
- The instrument must be for the direct use of the pupil and is necessary for delivering their education.
- The tuition must form part of the normal school curriculum.
- The instrument is required for regular classroom use (regular is defined as "must be brought to school on at least a weekly basis").
- The instrument is portable.
- The pupil must be receiving tuition in school from a St Helens Borough Council Music Service appointed tutor.
- The instrument must be appropriate to the needs of the pupil.
- The instrument must be handed to the pupil in the school teaching room.
We have produced some information that takes you through the purchase process, and also explains why we are able to offer these discounts. You will need to complete an or call us on 01744 677946 so that we can obtain quotations for the instrument you are interested in purchasing for your child.