Toggle menu

Executive travel and chauffeur licences


The provision of executive travel or chauffeuring can sometimes cause confusion, especially for those who are starting a new business. This policy has been developed to help such businesses understand their legal obligations under the existing licensing law.

Any person who runs a business which hires out vehicles with a driver, carrying up to eight passengers per vehicle, is considered to be a private hire operator. As such, their drivers and vehicles are private hire drivers and private hire vehicles.

Some examples of this are chauffeur-driven executive cars, airport and station shuttle car services, car services provided by hotels and retail businesses (including courtesy cars for customers), stretch limousines, prom car services, arty buses and other novelty party vehicles (e.g. ice cream vans, fire engines, small vehicles used for guided tours, excursions or holidays).

For the purposes of the legislation, it does not make any difference if you will be receiving immediate payment for the hire of the vehicle, or on account for later payment, or as part of an ongoing contract.

Businesses which only provide car services at weddings or funerals are exempt from licensing.