Toggle menu

Concerned about a child's safety or welfare?

Concerned about a child's safety or welfare?

Everyone has a responsibility for keeping children safe. Not just professionals. If you have concerns that a child needs a service or needs help and support in some way, there are people who can help.

What can I do?

If you believe that a child or young person is at immediate risk, you should report this without delay to the police service on 999.

If a child is not in immediate danger, you can do one of the following:

  • Call the Contact Centre on (01744) 676767 and tell them that you have a concern about a child;
  • Outside of office hours call the Emergency Duty Team on 0345 050 0148;
  • Call Merseyside Police on 0151 709 6010 (24 hour line);
  • Discuss your concerns with a professional you can trust such as a health visitor, teacher or GP; or
  • Contact the NSPCC Helpline on 0808 800 5000.

When you share your concerns, professionals have to act in the interests of the child. They have to assess risk to make sure the right support is given and that children are safe. If they think the child is suffering or likely to suffer harm they will immediately contact St Helens Children's Social Care.