Toggle menu

Reduce your bill

Council Tax Reduction

You could be eligible for help towards the cost of your Council Tax if you're on a low income or claim certain benefits, including Universal Credit (UC).

Your bill could be reduced by up to 100% if you are above state pension age, or up to 80% if you or your partner are below state pension age or you are in receipt of Income Support, income-based Job Seeker's Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit.

You can apply if you own your home, rent, are unemployed or working.

The level of support you will receive is calculated by looking at you and your partner's income, savings and household circumstances.

Help with paying Council Tax if you have applied for or are receiving Universal Credit

If you are liable for Council Tax, help towards paying this is not included in your Universal Credit payment.

Apply for Council Tax Reduction (UC only)

Help with paying Council Tax if you are not receiving Universal Credit 

You can continue to make a claim for Council Tax Reduction if you are not in receipt of Universal Credit.

Apply for Council Tax Reduction (non-UC)


Read more in the St Helens Borough Council - Council Tax Reduction Scheme (PDF) [540KB] 2024-25

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon