Toggle menu

Reduce your bill

Occupied exemptions

Some properties are exempt from Council Tax. If you own or occupy a property described below, you may be entitled to claim an exemption.

  • The property is occupied wholly by full-time students.
  • The property is a halls of residence for students that is owned or managed by a prescribed educational establishment.
  • The property is owned by the Secretary of State for Defence and keeps it for members of the UK armed forces to live in.
  • The property is occupied by members of visiting armed forces or their dependants.
  • All the people who live in the property are under 18 years of age.
  • The property is occupied wholly by persons who are severely mentally impaired.
  • The property is the main home of a person with diplomatic privileges or immunity.
  • The property is an annexe to another dwelling, and is occupied by a dependant relative.

Apply for an occupied property exemption.