Toggle menu

Reduce your bill

Disregarded occupants

You may be entitled to a reduction on your Council Tax bill if one or more of the adults in your house are disregarded when calculating the charge. If the only resident is disregarded then an exemption may be awarded.

People who are disregarded include:

  • Full-time students and student nurses
  • Apprentices and people under 25 on youth training schemes
  • People who are severely mentally impaired
  • Carers - people who live with and care for someone who is not their partner, spouse or child under 18
  • People who would be liable for Council Tax but are permanently resident in a nursing home, hospital or residential care home
  • People staying in certain hostels or night shelters
  • 18 and 19-year-olds who are at school or college, or who may have just left
  • People in prison or detention (unless confined for non-payment of Council Tax or a fine)

Apply for discount or exemption if you feel one or more of the adults in your property are disregarded.