Toggle menu

If you're a serving or former member of the Armed Forces

Applying for homelessness before discharge from the forces

Contact the Housing Options and Advice Service if you think you will be homeless after discharge from the services. The council should not wait until you are made homeless before it helps you.

Upon the production of a letter of discharge or some other evidence that confirms the date of your discharge from the forces, the council should accept that from the date of discharge you will become homeless.

In the event that you have not sought any housing assistance from this council before your discharge from the forces, you may need to stay in your accommodation as long as possible and wait for Defence Estates to evict you.

Defence Estates have to give you a 'notice to vacate' before they can take you to court in order that they can obtain a possession order. You can use any notice to vacate and any possession order that is obtained against you as evidence in support of your homelessness application.