Toggle menu

Make a food complaint

What we can and can't investigate

We will investigate (dependent on public health risk):

  • Food hygiene in food premises (e.g. dirty conditions, unhygienic food handling by staff etc.)
  • Food that may be linked to confirmed food poisoning or has become contaminated.
  • Food that is unfit and forms part of a larger batch or consignment.
  • Food containing foreign bodies that has caused injury or has the potential to cause injury to a person e.g. glass or metal.
  • Food that is unfit for human consumption.
  • Purchased food that has expired its 'use by' date.
  • An allergen-free meal that has been requested but has caused an allergic reaction.

We will not investigate:

  • Food purchased or manufactured outside the district of St Helens Borough Council.
  • Any claims for compensation or refunds. This is a matter between the purchaser and the manufacturer.
  • Complaints about food quality e.g. over-ripe vegetables and fruits.

It is not illegal to sell food after its 'best before' date. 'Best before' relates to the taste, texture and quality of a product. After the best before date the food may not be as the manufacturer intended but will not be unfit for consumption.

If your issue meets the criteria above you can report your complaint here


Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon