What standards can you expect as a tenant?
What minimum standards should you expect?
Generally the minimum standard for any room, flat or house that is offered for let is:
- that it is provided in good repair and in a clean condition
- that it has sufficient space for the number of occupants
- that it has sufficient clean furniture and fixtures/fittings as described for the letting (if let as part/fully furnished)
- that it is free from hazards that may harm the health, safety or well-being of any person
- that there is sufficient shared facilities for the occupants who use them
- the tenant is provided with a written contract/tenancy agreement
- the tenant is provided with a pre-tenancy inventory so they know exactly what is provided (for deposit return purposes)
- there is a current Gas Safety Certificate
- there is a smoke alarm on each floor
- there is a carbon monoxide detector if the house has a wood/coal burner or fire
- that the property is well managed
- the tenant is provided with a copy of the 'How to Rent' booklet