Toggle menu

Charging for non-residential services

What do we consider as allowances for living costs?

The Government determine the Minimum Income Guarantee (MIG) amount that someone should be left with to cover their living costs. These amounts are set out in the Care & Support (Charging & Assessment of Resources) Regulations.

  • Mortgage payments
  • Rent payments
  • Council Tax payments
  • Ground Rent
  • Service Charges (if part of a tenancy agreement)

What income do we disregard?

  • Disability Living Allowance / PIP (Mobility Component)
  • War Pensions
  • Earnings from Employment

What do we allow as disability related expenditure?

Disability related expenditure will be individually assessed. A fixed weekly amount will be used where possible. Evidence of expenditure will be required to verify that items claimed have been purchased.

Examples of disability related expenditure are listed below. This list is not exhaustive, and you will have the opportunity to have further items considered.

  • Wheelchair (Manual/Powered) - If purchased privately
  • Stair lift - If purchased privately
  • Prescription Charges (If you are not eligible for free prescriptions)
  • Careline
  • Private Care Costs (providing it has been agreed by your social worker)
  • Heating Costs (in excess of Government guidelines depending on property type/occupancy)
  • Specialist Footwear
  • Basic Garden Maintenance
  • Basic Cleaning Services

Two carers

Where a care package requires two personal care assistants, a charge will be made for both assistants.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon