Toggle menu

Charging for residential and nursing care


If the local authority arranges for you to go into residential or nursing home care, you will be required to contribute to the cost. This section explains how your contribution will be calculated.

The Government have set down very detailed regulations and guidance for calculating the charges for residential and nursing home care, which St Helens Borough Council follow (Care Act 2014 - Care and Support (Charging and Assessment of Resources) Regulations 2014).

You will be exempt from charges if you are receiving care provided under Section 117 of the Mental Health Act 1983.

If you meet the criteria for continuing health care, the health authority will pay your care fees.