Toggle menu

Charging for residential and nursing care

Self-funding residents

If you have savings above the upper capital limit of £23,250 you or your relatives / advocate can make your own care arrangements. The council can provide help and support with this, if required.

When your savings reach the ceiling for council funding (£23,250) you should contact the council where you live to request financial support. A financial assessment will be completed and you will need to provide evidence of your savings backdated to before you were admitted to the home.

The upper and lower capital limits and the personal allowance are set by the Government and are reviewed each April. The care home will be able to advise you of the new capital limits each year.

Residents who do not receive any council funding are entitled to claim Attendance Allowance or Disability Living Allowance / PIP (Care Component). If you are already in receipt of the lower rate you may be entitled to a higher rate and you can request a review by contacting the Attendance Allowance Unit. The telephone number is at the end of this section.