Toggle menu

Charging for residential and nursing care

Financial assessment

The financial assessment is a means tested assessment and will be offered to you when you receive care in a residential or nursing home which has been arranged by St Helens Borough Council under the Care Act.

A finance officer will calculate how much you will be assessed to pay based on your income and savings.

Information you are required to provide

The finance officer will require the following information to complete your financial assessment:

  • National Insurance Number
  • Details of Benefits e.g. (Retirement Pension, Pension Credit, Income Support, Employment Support Allowance, Universal Credit, Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payment). Your award letter from DWP or Job Centre Plus will show these details.
  • Details of Private (Occupational) Pension
  • Details of any other income
  • Bank Statements
  • Any other financial investment e.g. ISA, Premium Bonds, Shares etc
  • Tenancy Agreement
  • Council Tax bill
  • Mortgage payment details