Toggle menu

Dispute a Housing Benefit decision


If you disagree with a decision we have made about your benefit award, you can:

  • ask us to look at the decision again (known as a reconsideration)
  • appeal against the decision to an independent appeal tribunal

Please note that you have one calendar month from the date of the decision notice to request a reconsideration or to appeal the decision. This time limit can be extended but only if there are special circumstances as to why you could not appeal earlier.

If the decision can be changed, we will send you a new decision.

If the decision cannot be changed, we will send you a written statement of reasons why. If you are still unhappy with the reasons why the decision cannot be changed, you can appeal to an independent appeal tribunal.

You must submit your appeal in writing to us, giving your reasons why you think the decision is wrong.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon