Toggle menu

Dispute a Housing Benefit decision

How do I ask the appeal tribunal to look at your decision?

A person affected by a decision may request that the appeals tribunal consider our decision. The request must be in writing and must be received by us within one month of the date on the decision notification letter.

Where the person affected previously requested that we revise our decision, and has received a reply from us, the person has one month from the date we notified them to ask for their case to be considered by the appeals tribunal.

In exceptional circumstances, the time limit for requesting an appeal can be extended. The person affected must write to us giving grounds for not appealing at the appropriate time. A request for an extension of the time limit will not be considered if it is made 13 months after the notice of decision was issued.