Toggle menu

Dispute a Housing Benefit decision

Will I have to attend the tribunal?

Tribunals are held locally. The tribunals service will write to the person to tell them of the date, time and place of their hearing. They will also be asked if they want to attend or whether they would prefer the tribunal to consider their case without them being present; this is called a 'paper hearing'.

In most cases, the tribunal will consist of only one panel member who is a legally qualified person. If, however, complicated financial matters are to be considered, a financially qualified person will also be present. The clerk to the tribunal and the council's representative may also be present.