Direct payments guidance
What can't I spend a Direct Payment on?
- Direct Payments are not intended to replace the existing support provided by your family and community.
- Direct Payments cannot be used to purchase social care services provided directly by St Helens Borough Council. However, you can receive a mixed care package receiving some council services and receiving Direct Payments for you to purchase the rest.
- The provision of respite care is to provide a break for the carer and cared for; therefore your respite Direct Payment cannot be used to pay for family holidays taken together.
- Direct Payments cannot be used to purchase primary medical services provided by General Practitioners, emergency treatment services, surgical procedures or physiotherapy.
- A Direct Payment cannot be used to pay for any NHS charges or services such as prescription or dental charges.
- Direct Payments are intended to support people in independent living, so you cannot use them to pay for permanent residential accommodation. You may be able to use Direct Payments for respite care in residential accommodation if your Support Plan includes this.
- Direct Payments cannot be used to pay for anything that is not agreed in your Support Plan.